At the very heart of congregational life in the church, Sunday School plays a vital role in fulfilling the mission of the Church of the Nazarene to make Christlike disciples in the nations.
The mission of Sunday School & Discipleship Ministries International (SDMI) is to carry out the Great Commission to children, youth, and adults in preparation for a lifetime of being and making Christlike disciples in the nations.
- To be a people of prayer, engaged in the Word, making Christlike disciples.
- To intentionally develop relationships with unreached people so that they become Christlike disciples making Christlike disciples.
- To teach the Word of God to children, youth, and adults so that they are saved, sanctified wholly, and maturing in Christian experience that results in a life of compassion, evangelism, Christian education, and disciple making.
- To encourage everyone to faithfully engage in a discipleship ministry such as Sunday school/Bible studies, small groups, and other disciple-making ministries.
- To reach the largest number of unchurched people for Christ and the church,
- bringing them into fellowship,
- teaching the Word of God effectively, and encompassing their salvation;
- teaching the doctrines of the Christian faith and
- developing Christlike character, attitudes, and habits;
- helping to establish Christian homes;
- preparing believers for membership in the church and
- equipping them for appropriate Christian ministries.